Developer is a plugin (now I'll explain this in italic letters) developed among others by Automattic . And I say plugin because it does not have any functionality that can contribute something to our website.
Developer is a tool that recommends us what plugins we need to install to test or find faults within a topic or plugin that we are developing. Its main function is to show us a list of essential plugins to make our development faster, more reliable and more comfortable. It also allows us to install them all through a small panel based on AJAX.
Let's see what the process is:
Once the plugin is installed and activated, the following modal window appears:
Great. The plugin asks us what we are developing: plugin, theme or theme for WordPress VIP . The most usual will be the first two options.
Imagine that we are developing any topic, click on the corresponding option and then another modal window is displayed where a generous amount of development plugins is listed and also gives us the option to install them from that same window.
If we click on the installation buttons, through AJAX, Developer will download the corresponding plugins. While Developer, sometimes gives us errors, the truth is that if we look at the list of plugins, we'll see that they have been downloaded. In another case we have to download them by ourselves.
Now, in Tools -> Developer we will have available the list of plugins and those that have been installed or activated:
I will not comment all, but before discovering this plugin I knew some like:
– Theme Check : It is forbidden to create a theme without having installed this plugin. It will be responsible for reviewing all the code of our subject and will tell us what functions we are using wrongly or those that are very old, as well as general information that will allow us to improve the code of our subject.
– Debug Bar and Debug Cron Bar : Shows general information about executed queries and active crons.
– User switching : Have you ever had to logout and login with another user to do tests with said user in situ ? Well this is over, no more login-logout.
– Regenerate Thumbnails : Indispensable if we have changed the subject and the sizes of the images are different from the previous theme. It helps to regenerate all images to new dimensions. It is a must-have.
– Pig Latin : If you activate this plugin you will believe that WordPress has been broken. All the words appear disordered or with inserted letters, nothing is understood. It serves to check if our subject is prepared for translation. Those words that appear correctly, means that we have not arranged them for translation. Then I recommend reading this article .