As much as we fight for distinguish WordPress from wordpress.com there is someone who is not at all interested in that that change .
To begin with, Auto Matt ic, the company of Matt Mullenweg, gave up the brands to the WordPress Foundation at the time, but kept it in his sleeve to stay with the domain wordpress.com, but that's just the beginning even if it's the mother of all problems.
EEEEEHHHH … Preamble: Automattic mola, Matt is cool
What you're going to read below would not take place if Automattic, a company that does a lot and good, by WordPress and by itself, where many of us would love to work, did not have bull, comparative grievances with other companies.
I love the philosophy of Automattic work, I have good friends who work there and are delighted s, and we should all recognize that it puts a lot of resources for WordPress to grow, that nobody doubts, at least not.
And I think it's good that it benefits from that synergy . All of them do it, WordPress specialized hosting companies, those that offer WordPress services.
I dedicate at least 12 hours of my work week to help in the forums, to translate, meetups, WordCamps, whatever it takes. Do I also live in WordPress? Yes, and I'm happy about it, and that's why I also try to give back to WordPress something of how much it gives me, like so many other collaborators and companies .
With this I say that thanks Automattic! but also thanks StudioPress! Thanks WPMUDEV! Thanks HumanMade! Thanks SiteGround! thanks to you who do WordPress every day!
With what I do not agree is that these other companies have to comply with some rules that are there for everyone, that only Automattic can jump . It's unfair, offensive, but above all unnecessary .
I also have nothing against Matt . Moreover, we all should invite him to eat in our house once a month for having created with Mike Little this thing that allows us to make free webs and many other things.
What I do not agree is that arrogates all property and privileges, yes, privileges . And yes, he has yielded, donated, brands, everything, but seems to have a hard time releasing him . Decides on the core chairs the Foundation that creates rules for all that he himself does not apply in his own company .
Are those " small " things what I consider unjust, offensive, but above all unnecessary .
Having said that, let's see why I am complaining about this, examples of such incongruities …
 And there are some details, which you can find in the same websites and WordPress applications (.org) that delve into the confusion. Do you want examples?
Local WordPress.org sites
On local WordPress.org sites, known as Rosetta by translators, just below the download button of the latest version of WordPress there are 2 links, one at main site, wordpress.org, but also (and ahead) another wordpress.com.
Well Well, local site administrators have no way to change or remove that link to a proprietary, for-profit, service of a company .
Neither in the translation is there any chain to remove it.  WordPress.org
But not only on local sites, things get even more serious on the same WordPress website, wordpress.org . There we have several examples, namely …
At the foot of every page there is a link to wordpress.com, a proprietary, for-profit service, of a company .
But is even more serious, because it delves into confusion, and incidentally makes promotion, the WordPress download page where it is offered to the proprietary service, for profit, of a company, Automattic, as an alternative to the WordPress download or the automatic one-click installation of WordPress in your hosting.
I do not know what they think about WPMUDEV that Automattic can advertise their blog service on the WordPress download page and they can not do the same with their comparable service, EduBlogs They also offer free blogs.
Do you see the problem and the comparative grievance?
L a domain policy page
And yes, you look where, on the information page about the use of the word wordpress in the domains of wordpress.org, is also remembered the exception .
For more joke, there is even a phrase that says " many users have informed us that they find it confusing ", then do the exception of wordpress.com, precisely the one that generates the most confusion, with immense, enormous, disproportionate, difference .
And what does the WordPress Foundation say about the use of the brand?
To begin with, only permission will be given to use the word wordpress in name / domain and the logo if it complies with these criteria :
- The main purpose of your project is to promote the improvement and diffusion of WordPress software – No company has this as a purpose, neither Autom attic .
- Your project is not commercial in nature (you can make money to cover your costs or contribute to non-profit entities, but it can not function as a for-profit project or a business). – Need I say something?
- Your project neither promotes nor is associated with entities that do not comply with the GPL license under which WordPress is distributed. – There are precious debates in this regard over time .
- Under no circumstances are allowed to use WordPress or WordCamp as part of a first level domain name. – Well that .
- We do not allow the use of the brand in advertising, including AdSense / AdWords. – Do you remember the one that got bundled with the wordpress.com ads for this?
- Please note that it is not the purpose of this policy to limit the commercial activity related to WordPress. We encourage WordPress-based businesses, and hundreds of them are doing so in compliance with this policy. (Automattic, CrowdFavorite and StudioPress are some examples). – What will CrowdFavorite and StudioPress think about comparing them to the incomparable ? Does not sound a little like recochineo. Seriously, better not to say anything to get it to the bottom.
Then let's not complain that, rightly, give us a ZAS IN THE WHOLE MOUTH users of other software when they remind us that ] we have a Benevolent Dictator who in reality the community does not own WordPress completely others make decisions and others to work, contribute, but also to silence and abide by the funny decisions.
The WordPress mobile application
Another bleeding example is the WordPress mobile application, whose capture in the iTunes Store will tell you everything:
Okay, it's the developer of the application, but delves into confusion do not you think?
Another case well known but not always observed is that of the Akismet plugin, it turns out that comes installed by default in the installation of WordPress.  And it's a payment plugin, from a profit-making company, Automattic, and you can not use it without signing up at wordpress.com. And you get frowned on if you do not want to pay …
Would not you prefer another plugin to come included?
I can think of several completely free alternatives, which can be included in the WordPress installation package, which do not need to be given high on the web of any payment or freemium service:
- Any cache plugin totally free, the same WP Super Cache from Automattic, for example
- Any form plugin, a basic, and totally ] free Contact Form 7 for example.
- Any anti spam plugin that is not freemium or requires registration in any company
To – I suppose – finish, there we have the default avatars system of any WordPress installation, which is based by default on Gravatar, another Automattic service, which is free, but also requires high on wordpress.com, a freemium service from Automattic .
Do you know more cases? What do you think?
Come on, you have to get wet, it's your turn