Now maybe the free hosting you got tired, and you want to leave WordPress.com ; have more independence … Hiring a paid hosting is a step that at some point we all give (or at least, we wish).
But as we all know, choose a good hosting that responds, that is stable, fast and not of configuration problems, it is difficult task. Therefore, here I will try to explain for beginners (and why not for those who want to review), certain aspects that it is advisable to take into account at the time of hire a hosting plan for WordPress or any other project, how to choose plans, see transfer, etc.
NOTE: aimed at main, basic users. If you are a more experienced user, it is good to read it, but perhaps not much.
The most important thing is to define some ideas (with a lot of imagination):
- What use are we going to give? Take the hosting like an empty lot where we want to build a house. According to whether we want one or two floors, we must build the foundations according to it. Well, that is a choice between: Windows or Unix / Linux . If you are going to work with WordPress, you must choose Linux (then I'll explain why)
- What material will it be? It's very difficult … But it will be important to choose and build the columns and main pillars, the floors themselves, and some walls. That is called PHP or ASP with its respective databases, file systems, etc … PHP is managed with Linux while ASP with Windows platform. Eye! some Windows based services allow PHP, but it is not advisable to hire them.
- Once the materials have been chosen, and with a certain idea, we will have to build the columns and pillars: This is called CMS or Management System Contents, that is, your WordPress or Joomla, Drupal, etc … Attention: these systems, in our case WordPress, use PHP and MySQL (on Linux servers).
- Now if we go to the walls ! patience! This should be the last step to follow: you must complete the entire tutorial and then return here. The walls, with their colors and frames will be your theme (template, skin, face, design, etc.). While the furniture and amenities, will be the plugins .
Well, leaving a little aside the illustration of your blog as a house; we will explain some more technical concepts and aspects where you should pay attention :
- Web space (the square meters of land): it is the available space that you buy to make use of it. It is measured in Mb (megabytes), and you can usually start comfortably with 50Mb
- Monthly transfer (taxes): visually it works like a road toll (the one that charges you for traveling on a highway or road). If you have many visits, you will use more "transfer". It is measured monthly, and in the GigaByte unit (Gb). A personal blog, on average, does not use more than 1Gb or 2Gb per month. Lately some companies prefer to express it in Mb, and offer 1000Mb, which is equivalent to 1Gb (approx.)
- Availability and connection speed : this is very important, but maybe not at the beginning when you are undemanding. It is good to visit other sites hosted in that company, see if they open quickly and that they do not fall regularly. It is also interesting to ask and verify in the service conditions (contract) if there are limitations of "memory usage" or "php memory" or something similar. If you are going to have a website with a lot of national traffic, you can entrust it to a more specific company in your country instead of a very international one.
- Make sure to try technical support send emails with half of your doubts, and then a second when they have answered. If you do not know English, it is better to hire in a company that speaks your language : The Internet is not only the United States, there are good services in Spain, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, and even some in Miami (where there is great Spanish-speaking population).
As for hosting, it would be enough. Now you must choose an Address like your home: Street 2, 2nd floor, 4th floor, etc … or rather a "domain" it can be www. vivoencalle2piso2.com . Some companies do not register all types of domains, especially ".tv, .info, .biz, or country domains (.com.ar, .es, etc.).
Finally, read, reread and verify again and again the characteristics of the plan . Sometimes, it can happen, that we hire, and then we find that it does not have FTP access, or such or such thing. That is often a mistake of not paying enough attention, beyond the scam companies.
It is very useful to search in Google about that company, it is commented a lot in forums about them the service; because the comments or experiences that may be published on the web hosting are often edited or censored.
What else to say, is a basic guide, if you want more! you will already learn it 🙂