And the first interesting novelty is the announcement of what will be the new Default theme when WordPress 3.8 arrives which following the usual line will be called Twenty Fourteen or 2014 and the idea is to keep it as default theme for a full year, all year or 2014 which would have all the logic, and not as with Twenty Thirteen, released as default theme a few days ago with WordPress 3.6 and that has already been born dead, from my point of view .
And is that Twenty Thirteen was born with a clear orientation towards blogging and input formats, a question that was going to be the great novelty of WordPress 3.6 but that remained in the pipeline (for my taste thankfully).
But interestingly, for WordPress 3.8, the new theme by default breaks with the usual theme of default WordPress themes, betting on a theme of the type " magazine " , oriented to multi-user sites, and with a lot of advanced features which I think is a wise move, and I explain myself …
So far it has been wagered (except with Twenty Thirteen) for minimalist themes, almost to serve of base for development of other subjects, taking advantage of that incorp they prayed all the new functions of each version, but I think it's a mistake, because the new user of WordPress, nothing else to install the safe CMS that wants to see its recent web with an unbeatable aspect and not that sad vision of a Twenty Eleven or similar that does not show the power and virtues of WordPress with the naked eye
That's why I think it's a wise bet for an advanced theme, that from the first moment offers a colorful design, elegant, and with multiple possibilities . If a developer wants a base theme you can always use _s a wonder for these issues.
But hey, you're probably wanting to know the qualities of Twenty Fourteen and even throwing at a glance, right?
Its virtues are as follows:
- Adaptable design ( responsive )
- Featured content area, at the top of the screen, showing up to a maximum of entries Featured (eye, require JetPack installed)
- Native support of input formats: standard, video, image, gallery, mini-entry, appointment.
- List of entries of each format, showing the last two entries of each format entry in the sidebar.
- Fixed header in screens over 770px width.
- Social links area at the top of the header to Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Google+, LinkedIn, Flickr, GitHub profiles , Dribbble, YouT ube and Vimeo.
- No less than 7 widget areas.
- Two custom menu locations.
- Customizable header height
- Customizable background
- Optional full width page template (without sidebar.
- Floating text citation format left or right.
- Various levels of submenus.
- 100% GPL
You can see all these features already in the demo site for the purpose .
The issue is not new, it is a premium theme – so far paid – called Further which could be purchased in WordPress .com and other markets, but which is going to be adapted to make it the new default theme in WordPress 3.8 it does not seem that in its appearance but in the internal code.
The theme as a whole I like it, which does not mean that I will use it, because is not my "[1 9459015] type ". That yes, I hope that it changes the way to show the images in the entrances, that I do not like that framing that adds the subject to him. For the rest it is very good, it is a very colorful subject and at the same time readable and clear.