The guys from Automattic just released the first version of the plugin Liveblog a system for blogging live without the need for external utilities for the live blogging as CoverItLive or similar, all from your own WordPress desktop.
At least that's the idea …
The plugin, which already you can download from the official repository or install from WordPress, announce to offer something that until now was only available as added payment for WordPress.com VIP blogs : a system for blogging live .
Its features are as follows:
- Input updates from the same cover of your site, without the need to use the desktop.
- Visitors to your live blogging will see the new ones tickets so au tomatic and instantaneous, without the need to update your browser window.
- The authors of the site can drag and drop photos directly in the liveblog area, without having to use another browser tab or open another window (OUEAEAAA!)
- It is not necessary to use a separate site to do live blogging, any entry, future or existing, can be a liveblog.
Once installed, you will not see much, well, you do not really see nothing almost. Simply, when creating or editing an entry you will find a new " metabox " in the editor that allows you to convert it to a " liveblog ". Simply check the box, publish the entry and start the magic … or prestidigitación that, according to the authors …
- Collaboration: any registered user with writing and editing permits can update the entry and each update shows the author of it
- Readers are notified when there is a new update.
- New updates are highlighted in yellow.
- The editor works as an HTML editor, for all purposes, even when dragging and dropping an image.
Here some captures of my experiments this afternoon …
And here as in theory it works, according to the captures and video of Automattic …
Pegas?  Well some, and fat, has at the moment, at least in my tests:
- Does not work on the cover, only in the input display
- In my tests, normal visitors (not registered) did not see the updates d the liveblog.
- Works from WordPress 3.5, although I've tried it in version 3.4.1 and it seems to work, there are now insurmountable errors, I suppose for the WordPress version, as visitors do not see the updates and that the content of the updates of the mode " liveblog " in the entry (?) is not saved. This last I hope it is not its usual mode of operation but it would be a truño.
- The live editor of the site does not adapt well to issues with sidebar, leaving it rather ugly for the author, so better to choose a template without a bar side, full width if it bothers you.
- You can not do live blogging from the "normal" WordPress editor "
- If you edit the entry, the updates of the" liveblog "mode are lost, it should be saved as" normal input " "So that the updates are saved (sic).
So, that's it, the idea is pistonuda but for now, until WordPress 3.5 comes out or they improve it, unusable . And, honestly, I do not quite understand why Automattic has released the plugin, with version number 1.0, and with the WordPress 3.5 requirement, without WordPress 3.5 being available. Nor do I understand that WordPress.com VIP costs the " addon " $ 500 a month and this is free download. Are mysteries that I can not understand .
Note (September 5, 2012 @ 21: 00): Version 1.1 has been released that incorporates full WordPress support 3.4.1 , fixes the preview and compatibility with all permanent link configurations. I have tried again and now if the normal visitors see the updates (you can check it here: https://ayudawp.com/cms/evento-en-directo/), but it is still strange that when you uncheck it is a live blog post does not save anything, only "reappears" by marking it again as a liveblog.