Prologue that theme that turns our installation of WordPress into a Twitter-style social environment, which evolved into P2 now has its older brother in the form of a plugin: O2 .
Unlike its predecessors, O2 is not a theme but a plugin, which is the same, just by activating it, converts a normal installation of WordPress into an active and dynamic communication and collaboration environment, practically a social network in which to share status updates, citations, links, images or complete publications, but all in a controlled environment and with all the virtues and integration with the rest of utilities and advantages of WordPress.
This version of O2, still in early development stage and only available on GitHub requires a previous installation process a little or cumbersome:
- Manually install the theme p2-breathe available here in wp-content / themes / p2-breathe
- Activate the newly installed theme
- If you do not use JetPack, install and activate the plug-in Genericon'd since O2 uses genericons .
- If you want to share code inserted in your publications, install the plugin SyntaxHighlighter Evolved the only one compatible to date with O2.
- Install the O2 plugin in wp-content / plugins / o2 .
- Activate the plugin
- Enjoy  As you have seen the installation is a real pain in the ass to date, but when there are more advanced versions everything will be simplified. So here I leave a zip with everything you need:
- Topic p2-breathe
- Plugins Genericon'd and SyntaxHighlighter Evolved
- Plugin O2
Now, I warn you that it still does not work well at all, and its requirements are high (WordPress 4.2 or higher and PHP 5.3.6 or higher), so it's likely that you'll get a little war to make it work in conditions (I'll I say from experience), but when you get it you will see that you can have an interesting future as a collaborative environment thanks to its virtues:
- Specialized for use in a network
- Focus on use on the cover, not in vain is a manager of publications on cover
- Native infinity scroll, no need for additional plugins
- Real-time comments
- Cross-search in various O2 installations
- Cross-publication in various O2 installations
- Appointment announcements name or keyword, co in BuddyPress but better
- Tags shared between various installations
- Possibility of publishing and commenting by email
- Loading images and media with drag and drop directly on the cover of the site
- Integration with JetPack
Not for use in production yet, especially since its main virtues of network use are not yet active and is not sufficiently proven in multi-site installations but for the greedy and impatient is a good way to go catching up and start to know their huge future possibilities which has them.
That may also help you: